Walt Whitman All-Sports Booster Club
The All-Sports Booster Club is a group of parents that raise money to support all Whitman varsity and junior varsity athletics. Founded in 1995, in response to new mandates from MCPS concerning gender equity under Title IX, it replaced individual team booster clubs. Family memberships and donations provide about one-fifth of the total funds raised. The rest comes in concession sales at sporting events, Stadium advertisements, the annual mulch sale, practice SAT fundraiser and individual team sponsored fundraisers to name a few.
In addition to direct support, all teams benefit because Booster Club support augments the Athletic Department budget that is only partially funded by the county and state. This allows for more funds to be available to support athletic safety and to enhance athletic competency. All Whitman students benefit because much of our funding goes to improve athletic facilities.
The Booster Club raises money only to support Whitman Athletics. We spend what we raise. A partial list of the things funded includes:
- Some of the costs associated with the installation of artificial turf for the stadium field.
- Improvements to the outdoor concession stand with additional improvements to the stadium experience being installed in the Spring of 2020.
- Replacement of the gym floor.
- New wrestling mats.
- Football helmets replacements.
- New equipment for the weight room.
- A school wide subscription to Hudl allowing for teams to video games to be used by coaches and players to improve performance.
- Parallel bars, balls of all kinds, nets, goals, team bags and uniforms, batting cages, scoring tables, clocks, sound systems, CD players, video equipment, and much more.
- Continuing education for coaches.
In addition, the Booster Club has provided support to other schools in Montgomery County that do not have the resources of Whitman with both monetary donations and equipment drives.
MCPS Booster Club Guidelines
Montgomery County Public Schools strongly recommends that club funds be used exclusively for charitable and educational purposes to organize, establish, promote and support all athletic programs equitably through clear and specific guidelines for the distribution of funds in accordance with the MCPS policies and the provisions of Title IX. Funds raised by booster clubs may not be used to purchase personal items for any teams or individuals such as shoes, socks, mouth guards or any item retained by the student.