Walt Whitman All-Sports Booster Club
The All-Sports Booster Club is a group of parents that raise money to support all Whitman varsity and junior varsity athletics. Founded in 1995, in response to new mandates from MCPS concerning gender equity under Title IX, it replaced individual team booster clubs. Family memberships and donations provide about one-fifth of the total funds raised. The rest comes in concession sales at sporting events, Viking Spirit advertisements, the annual mulch sale, practice SAT fundraiser and individual team sponsored fundraisers.
In addition to direct support, all teams benefit because Booster Club support augments the Athletic Department budget that is only partially funded by the county and state. This allows for more funds to be available to support athletic safety and to enhance athletic competency. All Whitman students benefit because much of our funding goes to improve athletic facilities.
Since 1995, the booster Club has provided over $600,000 to Whitman Athletics. Among other benefits:
- The stadium field was laser graded, and Boosters paid to upgrade irrigation and drainage and convert the field to Bermuda grass.
- Fences were moved so that the field hockey/baseball field is all grass
- Lighting was upgraded and a complete irrigation system has been installed
- Annual field maintenance programs are covered
- The weight room was completely renovated with new equipment and staffed
Each team has a $600 annual grant available to use at the coach’s discretion. We have purchased parallel bars, balls of all kinds, nets, goals, team bags and uniforms, poms, batting cages, chairs, scoring tables, clocks, sound systems, CD players, video equipment, and much more.
Recent major purchases are:
- a “Shootaway” machine for the basketball programs
- a Lynx timing system for track and cross country
a new scoreboard for the baseball/field hockey field
MCPS Booster Club Guidelines
Montgomery County Public Schools strongly recommends that club funds be used exclusively for charitable and educational purposes to organize, establish, promote and support all athletic programs equitably through clear and specific guidelines for the distribution of funds in accordance with the MCPS policies and the provisions of Title IX. Funds raised by booster clubs may not be used to purchase personal items for any teams or individuals such as shoes, socks, mouth guards or any item retained by the student.